Friday, March 30, 2012

Healthy Breakfasts: Smoothies



One thing that I am working towards in preparing to eventually be a wife and mother is healthy eating. It's something that I have a little bit of a passion for anyway, but I know that in being the woman of the family, my children's health is going to depend heavily on me, not only in what I feed them, but also in what I eat.

Unfortunately, "healthy eating" to some means always eating things that don't taste good and never eating things that do. Well no. That's not quite right. Sure you might have to work on changing your palate a little, especially if you are used to eating junk food all the time, but there are so many good foods out there and so many different ways to prepare them; it really is quite fun. Sometimes you just have to force yourself to try something new.

For breakfast lately, I've really been into green smoothies, that is smoothies with raw greens in them. Now when I make a smoothie, I usually am just blending fruit. No dairy, no added sugar, just fruit. On occasion I will add some Greek yogurt if I feel like I need some extra protein that morning, or I will use some coconut milk for a different flavor. I'm not too picky, but sometimes simple is better. When I've got my smoothie how I want it, I wash a good-sized handful of raw greens such as spinach or kale and blend it into my smoothies. It will usually turn the drink green, but it won't be enough to really taste. And honestly, I can't think of a better way to eat raw greens!

So here's what you need to make your own:

fruit juice (I like apple. You can get it without added sweeteners, and it goes with just about any other fruit)
banana
frozen fruit (slightly thawed to make it easy to blend)
handful of greens (spinach, kale, bok choy)
blender

This is not a science here, guys. You can make your smoothie however you please. You need just enough juice to make the fruit drinkable, and enough fruit to give the drink substance. Add a few ice cubes at the end to make it extra cold and give it a little bit of a crunch, and enjoy a yummy, healthy breakfast!

1 comment:

  1. Hello Kaliste! I just stumbled upon your blog. ;) This is a great idea. I make smoothies often, and my siblings LOVE them! Thanks for this inspiring blog!

    Love,
    Mariah

    ReplyDelete